Texting. Instant Messaging. Email. Facebook. Myspace.
Now I'm sure all of you know what these things are and how to use them. If you don't, I'm a little worried for you. With the vast array of social networking and technology options, surely these things make it easier to date and meet new people. I'm actually kind of skeptical of that. Yes we may be connected to eachother at all times but what happens to the thrill of the first phone call?
I'm a texter. I'll admit it, I'm addicted. About 90% of the time I'll text you before I call you and that can get a bit hairy sometimes since I am a very sarcastic person. I tend to forget that the tone gets lost in translation. I find this to come in handy rather than leaving a voicemail because I am pretty sure that the person that I am texting will read the text before he/she listens to the voicemail. I think I'm the only one that still checks their voicemail on a regular basis. But, there are the times when I don't receive a responding text. What happened to tact and ettiqute?? Does that not exist for texting/email? I think we've all become desensitized and a little lazy when it comes to responding to this type of communication. But just because we aren't face to face doesn't mean that I don't deserve an answer back. I find it to be very rude if I'm left hanging, wondering if my message got lost on the information super-highway. So do me and your friends a favor: give us an answer back. We'll thank you for it.
-Ray
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Ray,
ReplyDeleteI don't think etiquette and tact exist in the era of electronic communication. You're not required to look someone in the eye and respond with honesty and heart. You don't have to worry about inflection in your voice when telling a little white lie concerning your whereabouts last night when you were supposed to be hanging out with other friends. Texts, email, Facebook, Twitter and this blog, all allow for a different personality to take form and allow you to say things you may not have the balls to say to someone's face. Like when I asked (via text) Fish to come outside so I could stare at her boobs.
Important note to remember: Texts should be considered electronic Post-Its, not confessions of love or lust, deep truths about your soul or as a means of dating. Now, suggesting a booty call, that's acceptable. You're a booty call, accept it when you receive a texting with a time, place and dress code. Again - a Post-It rather than a story.
Make them face you. Look in their eyes, take the time to meet up so you know you're worth their time. Make them call and listen to the honesty (or lack thereof) in their voice. Know that someone took the time to pick up the phone.
Love, Sean.